What Is the Name of a 3D Oval?

The formal name for a three-dimensional oval in science is an ovoid. An egg is a less formal term for a three-dimensional oval shape. Early in the 19th century, the words “ovoid” and “ovoides,” both of which referred to the egg, were combined to become the English word “ovoid.”

An oval is a spherical, slightly elongated form that resembles the shape of an egg. The word is derived from the Latin word “ovum,” which means egg, and the mid-16th century French word “ovalis,” both of which imply egg. In geometry, a figure must at least have one axis of symmetry and resemble an egg in order to be referred to as an ovoid.

Misha Khatri
Misha Khatri is an emeritus professor in the University of Notre Dame's Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. He graduated from Northern Illinois University with a BSc in Chemistry and Mathematics and a PhD in Physical Analytical Chemistry from the University of Utah.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Read More