White was the initial colour of the White House. The walls were bleached in 1798 to keep the stone from freezing in the winter, according to the White House Historical Association.
The White House’s walls were whitewashed two years before President John Adams and his wife Abigail moved in as the first tenants in 1800. The White House was painted white in 1814, according to an often-told but false narrative, after it was burned down by the British during the War of 1812. Although there is evidence that the President’s residence was known as the White House as early as 1812, it was not until September 1901 that Theodore Roosevelt made the name official.